Monday, February 1, 2016

Our 25th Wedding Anniversary


25 years ago, I married my high school sweetheart!


I want to share our story on how we met and fell in love.

The first time I saw him, I fell in love.  We didn't have any classes together until later in the school year.  I remember seeing him in the hall and he would say hi to me.  I can still remember how that made me feel...all bubbly inside!
Finally, we had art class together.  I had foods class  next door right before and would bring in my leftovers.  One day, he saw that I had some pizza and asked if he could have some.  Of course I said yes...but after that, I made sure I had "some food" for him every time I cooked in class. My classmates in foods class all knew that I was saving my food for someone special.

There were days in art class that he would come over to my table and lean down, put the side of his face to the side of mine and try to help me draw.  Oh, my heart still swoons when we shared those moments! 

He came up with a nick name for me which is our little secret to this day.  Whenever he would say it, it made my heart skip a beat.  Oh how he flirted, but I kept my cool because I thought he had a girlfriend.  Later, I found out that they had agree'd on seeing other people.  They were on the path to breaking up.  I would never let him know how I felt because  I didn't want to be the cause of a breakup.   So I waited patiently. 

He graduated and my life went on.  Dating, having crushes, but never like I had with him.  Then, a dear friend of mine was dating his best friend and we were going to go to a concert.  I asked if he were single and the answer was yes.  I jumped on that as fast as I could.  I made sure that word would get back to him on how much I had liked him in school.  He was shocked!  Somehow, he had no clue.  So he made arrangements through our friends to meet at this concert.  Let's just say "fireworks" went off that night.  I think we both were smitten with each other! We spent days together off and on, then weeks and then months.  My heart began to fall in love.  His hands were perfect, his eyes were such a beautiful shade of blue and his hair was long and silky.  Back then, long hair on boys was something girls loved.  The hairstyle was called a mullet.   I remember the first time he said he loved me...I had no response, lol.  It was when I was dropping him off at his house.  When I got home, I called him and said it back.  We've been together ever since.  

He is the person I love to spend my time with.  He is my very best friend whom I've shared my darkest secrets with and my biggest dreams to.  We've been through so much together.  I keep saying we should write a book because in our story, we've made farther than most other's  our age.


We're both heavier, grayer, older, stiffer, wrinklier...you get the idea.  But when I look at him now, he is more handsome than when we first began our love story.


When he puts his face against mine, I still remember how he did that in art class.  And I still feel the same way as I did then...I get butterflies!


He made my heart feel something I had never felt before and it's still going strong 25 years later in marriage.  We dated for 3 and a half years, so in total, we've been together for 28 and a half years. That's over half of our lifetime!  And do you want to know our secret?  It has been our love for God, keeping Him in our marriage and keeping Him in our hearts.  Without God, we wouldn't be together because our flesh would have gotten the best of us in anger, hurt, and selfishness.
  

I love my sweetie to the moon and back!  I am so very thankful that we've made it this far....and I'm praying we make it another 25!




10 comments:

  1. Melanie, I really enjoyed reading your love story. Happy Anniversary to you and your husband. You look so good together. I am so glad you have God in your marriage. Blessings to you both for many more years of love together. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I only hope to find a wonderful man who will make me feel as giddy as yours does to you. Congratulations! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! You two are a lovely couple! :-) This year my husband and I will be together 26 years and married 22! Time sure flies by!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muchisimas felicidades mi querida melanie , preciosa historia de a mor . Y si , es verdad , sino fuera por el amor de Dios en nuestros corazones , la relacion de matrimonio no duraria . Besitos para los dos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful love story! Congrats on your 25 year anniversary! Ya'll are a good looking couple!!! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful love story! Congrats on your 25 year anniversary! Ya'll are a good looking couple!!! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muchísimas felicidades a los ,que sigáis tan enamorados , Dios os bendiga a su hermosa familia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Muchísimas felicidades a los ,que sigáis tan enamorados , Dios os bendiga a su hermosa familia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary, you two! I'd love to see a picture of the two of you when you were first dating and see the now-infamous mullet! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for these photos from your 25th wedding anniversary. This post reminds me of our wedding anniversary which we celebrated last year at one of beautiful local wedding venues. Though this year we will be hosting a house party.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping in...I love hearing from you! Hugs, Melanie